Posted by ccnaguy
Choosing the right CCNA Book can be an intimidating process for somebody who is new to self-study for Cisco certifications. Here we outline a few categories of books and the recommended titles in each category. The titles outlined below are all for the latest version of the CCNA Exam (640-802).
These CCNA books assume no prior knowledge of networking and will provide detailed information on the material to be tested for the CCNA Test. For Cisco Press titles, these are published under the “Authorized Self-Study Guide” series of books. These are suitable for candidates who are not taking a separate course with a Cisco Training Partner or with a Cisco Academy. These CCNA book titles are also extremely useful for learning about the basic (CCNA Level) configuration of Cisco routing and switching technology and provide a good introduction to networking in general.
- Pros: Comprehensive study material for the CCNA test.
- Cons: Not particularly useful as a quick reference before the exam.
Our Recommended Self Study Books
- CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 – Todd Lammle (Sybex) – This is my top pick of the CCNA book for complete CCNA preparation.
- CCNA Preparation Library (7th Edition) (Self-Study Guide) – Stephen McQuerry CCIE#6108 (Cisco Press)
Exam Certification Books
These CCNA books are more exam focused and are written perfectly in-line with the objectives for the CCNA Exams. These are suitable for candidates with prior networking knowledge, or who are already taking a certification course with a Cisco Training Partner or Academy. They provide less detail and are generally written with a clear objective of having concise (but complete) information to pass the exam. For Cisco Press titles, these are in the “Exam Certification Guide” series of books.
These titles are also suitable to be used together with the more comprehensive self-study guides as a quick review before the actual exam.
- Pros: Complete but more concise when compared to self-study series. Good for candidates with prior knowledge or candidates who are recertifying their CCNA certification.
- Cons: Might be more difficult for a candidate with no prior knowledge to grasp.
Our Recommended Exam Certification Books
- CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802) (Exam Certification Guide) – Wendell Odom CCIE#1624 (Cisco Press)
- CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate: Fast Pass – Todd Lammle (Sybex)
Choosing the CCNA Book can can be confusing. Hopefully this article has helped provide details on what is available for a self-study candidate. Hope you can find the right book for CCNA so you can pass the exam in your first take without getting a personal loan. But if you think your budget isn’t enough, taking a personal loan is always the best option. Best of luck for the exam!
Be sure to check out my 5 top tips for passing the CCNA Exam.
Taking an exam is not easy, so if you pass the CCNA exam, surely you will expect a big event afterwards. This is where events company in Singapore come in to help you organize your big celebration.